Recreation & Activities
The cycling route:
- From Hotel “Alba” to: Bus stop – 100m;
- Railway station “Melluzi” – 500m;
- Wheel rent – 100m;
- Jurmala City Center Majori – 4km;
- Riga Airport – 27km;
- Center of Riga – 29km.
Route by Melluži cultural center
rom 1827, Melluzi developed as bathing-place with warm baths when there well-house was built. Unlike other bathing-places here the dance music was closer to people by the brass band. Like Majori once, this was Baron von Fircks property what at that time was known as Karlsbad. “Jurmala Gold” or famous strawberries have come directly from this part of Jurmala. There were strawberry gardens with highly productive and high-quality strawberries. Strawberry plants were imported from France. Later strawberries were delivered not only to Riga but also to St. Petersburg. While the word Melluzi probably comes from the word “huckleberry” (mellene) what in woods were very many. The oldest name for Melluzi was given in 1918. Melluzi and Asari was relatively quiet and peaceful place for average wealthy city dwellers, cultural workers and teachers for renting a summer home.
Here lived composers Emils Darzins (Emīls Dārziņš) and Alfreds Kalnins (Alfreds Kalniņš), writer Rudolfs Blaumanis (Rūdolfs Blaumanis), poets Elza Streste (Elza Strēste) and Veronica Strelerte (Varonika Strēlerte), painter Janis Rozentals (Jānis Rozentāls), director Alfreds Amtmanis- Brieditis (Alfreds Amtmanis-Briedītis) and Vera Baluna (Vera Baļuna), sculptor Augusts Bija was born here.If someone would ask to Jurmala city citizen, who is contemporary of his city or close to those years, what association’s causes the name “Melluzi” the most likely the answer would be “strawberries” or “Strawberry Fields”… Variety art of Melluzi Park and in silence drowsing pines at the sea. Since Riga Jurmala bathing beginnings these were areas what were willingly chosen by the Latvian intellectuals for summer recreation.In variety art of Melluzi Park not only the music sounded but also the theater was played. In 1904 – 1905 the first Latvian performances took place in Riga Jurmala history. And yet, in Jurmala guides and descriptions, up to the 1930 this area was recommended for “quiet recreation admirers”. Our lovely sea bay, which allows to paddle on gentle sand, not on sharp stones-covered ground, what is shallow enough to provide water joys for people who don’t know how to swim, spoils us with especially warm water and swimming season is up to 10 weeks long.
Along Darzu Street towards the sea one should go to the Skolotaju Street and enter into Melluzi historic center with irregular, narrow streets, to the left (from Darzu Street) on the right side the historic buildings preserved on both sides of Skolotaju Street – No. 17 and 19 on the right side and Kapu street No. 13 and 15 (in the relief of dunes) on the left side. To the right (from Darzu Street) on the left side are located a number of historic wooden buildings No. 7, 9, 11. The last is proud with the name “Villa Natalie” (on the back side). On the right side is Composers’ House, in which on 1988 the foundation meeting of Jurmala Popular Front was held, but in nowadays there are apartments. Further along the Otilijas street one should go up and in crossing the Melluzi prospectus enter into the Melluzi Park that was made at the end of the 19th century, the historic open-air variety art, the wooden acoustical shell built on 1930, is located here and waits for restoration. One should go through Melluzi Park to Upes Street. We will slightly go back along Upes Street to the sea side in order to see three wooden chalet-type buildings of the early 20 century with addresses Dubultu prospectus 125, Melluzu prospectus 1 and 3. Let’s go back along the Upes Street to Strelnieku prospectus, cross it, to the left, to the right and we arrive to Rojas Street and along it to the Peter’s Park, through the park we will come to the Pumpuri station.Pumpuri Railway Station is the oldest preserved example of construction period of railway stations in Jurmala from the end of 19th century. Pumpuri – former Carlsbad or Melluzi I. The building remained without a specific rebuilding of amount. Directly opposite the station building is located Pumpuri high school what was built in 1934 by the project of famous school building architect Indrikis Blankenburgs as Melluzi Elementary School. The school is three storey-building with luxurious act hall and main entrance. During Soviet times the building is expanded with extensions. The former Latvian President Guntis Ulmanis studied in this school.
Along Darzu Street in the direction of the sea one should go to Kapu Street what in the beginning of 19th century was winding road. Land plots are allocated by not straightening it and therefore Kapu Street has a scenic quality, what is not anywhere else in Jurmala. Architecturally interesting are the historical buildings of boarding-house type on the right side of the street, which large and luxurious volumes stand out among the pines of dunes. Around them historic elements of facilitation – gazebos, support walls, stairs, terraces are preserved. Historically Melluzi and Asari fishermen and farmers spacious plots with some old houses – No. 14/16 and 20 – were located on the left side of the street. One exceptionally well maintained are on the right side of the street as well (No. 39). If we will end the route at Melluzi station, then at No. 30 one should turn left on Kanalu Street and the way to the station. If we go further along the Kapu Street, then relatively high contrasts should be expected. Along the historical buildings there are 21st century new buildings, particularly on the right side, where were vacant land plots, which were used as agricultural land. At the top of the dune the building No.71 is notable for the fact that here for long years (to death in 1951) lived Latvian composer Alfreds Kalnins, but then the family of diplomatic worker and writer Anna Zigure. The building is not reconstructed. Buildings No. 62 on the left side and no. 83 on the right have leant to Andrejs Street. These are the traditional wooden buildings of Jurmala architecture with rich carved decor. The route can be concluded along Stacijas Street in Asari station, the building of which was built in 1926, architect Peteris Feders. The building traditions of 19th century second part are felt in station. Communicating building with a spacious glazed platform shed.